Friday, October 30, 2009

An Exercise in Stupidity

Re-posting of a thread on Facebook. All names have been changed to protect the innocent.

My friend posts this link to Astronomy night at the white house with the comment: "I'm Glen Beck zombies found something about this to bitch about, but to me its pretty damn cool."

Tattered Curtains: They're partisan hacks. They can and will bitch about anything Obama does. They're probably also the same people that think NASA is a waste of money--myopic fools. October 10 at 3:04pm

Commenter1:
Now see, this is something worth while for the President to do. Encourage kids to look up at the stars and envision something bigger than themselves. I'm gonna share this myself so everyone doesn't think I'm just a hater after all my complains about his Peace Prize win. C
October 10 at 7:12pm

Commenter2:
I'm just glad we finally have a president that doesn't refer to science as "That class I dun skipped in college"
October 10 at 10:54pm

Conservatard:
Actually they're probably not the same people that think NASA is a waste....it's the liberal tree huggers that think the rocket fuel + popping holes in the ozone will turn the earth black & the poor baby polar bears might be hit when it falls back to earth. Obama is a useless asshole though.....soon to be the biggest failure in history...if he isn't already.
Wed at 8:35am

Tattered Curtains:
Actually they are. Budget hawks hate NASA. A google search of "NASA is a waste" yields hit after hit of morons complaining that NASA is a waste of tax payer money. A search of "NASA is bad for the environment" yielded one hit of someone refuting this claim and that was it.

PS Stop projecting W on Obama
Yesterday at 1:32pm

Conservatard:
Guess I was wrong...but I'm not.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/solarsystem/bush_vision.html

P.S. if you're for NASA don't hold your breath under the Obama Administration...that dude is gonna be cutting the crap out of everything for eons if his POS health plan goes through.
Yesterday at 1:52pm

Conservatard: Didn't we get in some religious argument a while ago? Something to the effect of religion can't be proven and science can. Well up until recently science told us there were only 9 planets....8 if you don't count Pluto....now they found 32 new planets....guess science isn't a perfect science after all...ha! The bible is consistent year in and year out....never going to be disproven....that's 1 for religion and -1 for creationism.


Edit: And now the idiocy really starts. I didn't realize this until later when I came across an article talking about the discovery of 32 new Exo-Planets and put 2 and 2 together but he's talking about planets that aren't even in our solar system and either doesn't know this or is ignorant as to what it means. And this is the evidence he uses to topple science.
Also I was rather perplexed by the -1 for creationism but from his later comments I came to realize he's calling me a creationist for thinking the Earth and universe came into being via natural causes which makes me the exact opposite of a creationist. He on the other hand seems to believe that god created the Earth although he never comes right out and admits this


TatteredCurtains: How is that article relevant to anything being discussed? You're not trying to imply Bush was a budget hawk are you? That would be a riot. You should also really get out of the fortune telling business and start dealing with reality as it is.
It wasn't me you were arguing with: I'm not ignorant enough to claim that science can be proven. Mathematicians deal in proofs, a scientists trade is theory. And there are still only 8 planets in the solar system. Part of the reason Pluto was downgraded from being a planet was because of the other recently discovered bodies you mention. Beyond that, scientists only ever claimed that there are 9 KNOWN planets (and suspicion was always cast upon Pluto because its orbit crosses that of Neptune's). You'd be hard pressed to find an Astronomer who has ever said: "There are 9 planets and no other massive bodies will ever be found to orbit the sun!!!! SCIENCE KNOWS EVERYTHING!!!!" I mean are you joking or are you really this stupid? The bible is consistently logically inconsistent (i.e. 2 creations, 3 different sets of last words for Jesus in the gospels) year in and year out and never stops containing propositions which are demonstrably false e.g. that the Earth is flat, the sun orbits it, it stands on 4 pillars etc. It's a laughable piece of ancient mythology. Science has improved the human condition more than any other endeavor ever taken on by mankind. Religion = dark ages. Science = future.
Yesterday at 2:43pm

Conservatard:
You guys that think you know it all crack me up...keep on propping up Obama.....gonna make the fall even greater. If you think he cares more about outer space than poor inner city people you've got another thing coming. I'm assuming you've read the bible...or should I assume you've only been told by your liberal teachers how bad it is....I've got nothing against science.....Biology was my major....Science =future...what are you 12 yrs old? Everything is the future.
Yesterday at 3:00pm

Edit: Note that he says "Biology was my major" not I got my degree in Biology. Frankly I find it hard to believe he went to college.

TatteredCurtains:
Wow you really are this stupid. Thanks for clearing things up. I find it absolutely hilarious that you call me a know it all after claiming to have exposed science as false. And if its so funny to you how about demonstrating something I said was wrong rather than just continuing to bray like an ass? How have I propped up Obama? I just suggested you deal with facts rather than trying to predict the future. Who cares more about outer space than people? Do you? Edit: Seriously does he? He refuses to answer essentially everything I ask him. I'm glad the president doesn't. What world do you live in where "liberal teachers" tell us how bad the bible is? I address several specific instances of either logical inconsistencies or demonstrable falsehoods in the bible and this is your defense? Bravo! As for "Religion = Dark ages, Science = future" I find it rather sad that you can't understand the concept of an analogy.
Yesterday at 3:35pm

Conservatard:
I just realized I'm arguing with a guy with panty hose over their face....enough said. I hope that education works out for you space man...ha ha!

Edit: Burn you got me dude! I posted a funny picture of myself on the internet! You totally just pwn3d me in that debate! What a buffoon. I wasn't going to comment anymore at this point considering that this was what was left of his argument. But then my friend whose page this was commented and another friend from school decided to kick this jackass while he was down. I love it!

OP:
Damn guys... arguing over religion, science and politics? You guys are crazy. I guess now I should invite both of you over to the house for a beer.
17 hours ago

Skeptic:
I find it quite amusing that everyone who tries to argue in anyway to downplay science, have one thing - they don't know what they are talking about. There is a consistent lack of the ability to comprehend the argument presented by the other party and pompously attempt to refute it..and eventually refraining to exaggeration and mockery when cornered.

Also, it should be "..a guy with panty hose over HIS face"

Conservatard:
Thanks for correcting me Skeptic...I didn't know my response was going to be sent to intelligent people like you for review. I'll be sure to forward future documentation to you for your approval.....for the record "anyway" is 2 words....ha! By the way I'm not downplaying science...I'm making fun of people that think only science is responsible for the creation of earth.
9 hours ago

Edit: Clear implication that he is a creationist

Skeptic:

no its not - http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anyway

"Well up until recently science told us there were only 9 planets....8 if you don't count Pluto....now they found 32 new planets....guess science isn't a perfect science after all...ha!"

Again, i'm amused by the conviction you have in whatever it is you believe in. Here are a few words you should look up before making mindless claims: Theory, Law, Proof.

The Big Bang is a THEORY. Gravity is a LAW. Science consistently tries to understand the creation of not just the earth, but the entire universe. The only thing religion is consistent in is promoting here say beliefs with no proof.
9 hours ago

Conservatard:

Are you retarded? Any way is 2 words in the context you used. I didn't say anyway wasn't a word. Make sure when you graduate you stay in school for a few morel [sic] years just so an education begins to set.

You're coming to the party late....my comments about the big bang were from posts long ago. Edit: What fucking comments? He's talking about an argument he had with someone else. He hasn't said a word about the big bang anywhere in this thread I stand by my comments that scientist know nothing...they only know what they think they know. Best thing I ever learned in college. Edit: Seriously that's the best thing you learned in college? There's no fucking way this guy actually went to college Ever heard that no 2 snowflakes are alike.....do you believe it? Has every snowflake been examined......same goes for fingerprints. It's at best a grasp at making meaning of the world around us. It's all true until proven false. Religion will never be shown as being false. Why because Jesus is the Truth......I'm not here to preach to atheists, so I'll leave it at that.

By the way "here say" .....are you for real????? It's hearsay.......bwaaaahahahaha! You have the nerve to correct people's typing...ha ha!

I'm sorry you got molested by a priest or something long ago, but religion goes much deeper than "here say"!
7 hours ago

TatteredCurtains:
The really funny thing is that the 32 planets he was talking about are EXO-PLANETS! They're not even in our fucking solar system and he's comparing them to planets that are. I'm not even sure he can read. I think he's dictating his responses to someone. "Religion will never be shown as being false." Give me a fucking break. He's still claiming this despite the fact that I pointed out several falsehoods in the Bible and several logical inconsistencies within its text (The old testament claims pi is exactly 3 for fucks sake). All of which he ignored in favor of maintaining his wall of ignorance. Science is "...at best a grasp at making meaning of the world around us..." No moron that's exactly what science is. An attempt to gain as accurate an understanding of the universe as possible--science makes no truth claims, please get that through your thick cro-magnon skull. This is opposed to religion which seeks to maintain as flawed, simple, and ancient an understanding of the universe as possible. I can't tell if this is sincere retardation or if he's just a troll--I still find it hard to believe an adult, even a mouth breather like this one, couldn't grasp the concept of analogy. Maybe [the OP] can shed some light on that for us since he knows him.

Conservatard:

You ridicule people's math skills from 2000 years ago & that proves the Bible is a fake...... that proves everything I guess....now I can finally be an atheist too....whew....what a relief. Where do we meet up to talk about atoms....this is gonna be great!

The Bible was written by people and handed down over the ages.....expect a couple errors in a book written by humans ok? They are humans after all....just like your pal Sid "Facebook's Editing Mastermind". Edit: He doesn't understand that this is a good reason for rejecting the truth claims of the bible
6 hours ago

Skeptic:

The stupidity in what you say and your poor form of expression are appalling at best.
It is also noteworthy that you accept that the people who preach teachings of jesus, 'the truth', fuck children.
I personally wouldn't give 2 shits about responding to this but its when people say things like "jesus is the truth", i have a hard time keeping my mouth. faith is subjective. just because you find solace in knowing others like you find peace in believing in ancient flawed knowledge of what was not explainable at the time, good for you. its a useless cause to try to explain aspects of this universe that are beyond the scope of your belief. just think about it for one second. religion has been around for way longer than science. there is no way it has any scientific roots. its a bunch of bullshit when people say science and religion are branches of the same tree. they have nothing in common.
6 hours ago


Conservatard:

The devil is everywhere....learn to look for him....priests are not GOD.....just people--sometimes bad people.....frequently homos & pedaphiles due to easy access to children....I really am sorry about what happened to you --you were so young back then so fresh, so innocent....ha! Sorry OP.....couldn't resist getting into it w/ these 2......there's a reason atheists are the minority Edit: He actually thinks he's winning the debate, despite only kind of referring to one of my points and even then failing to refute it.....these guys have officially proven to me that it's because of their supreme intelligence and understanding of "science"....you guys should start a scientology club.....can't wait to see your published works......oh, don't quit your day job......or maybe you should......Jesus is the Truth the Light and the Way....not only saying that to upset you, because I KNOW that you reading that makes your skin crawl, but it is the TRUTH & the only TRUTH you will ever need to know......either way, you'll convert on your deathbed.....better hope you don't have a sudden accident riddled death.
5 hours ago

Edit: Why are religious people so convinced that all atheists convert on their death beds? And more to the point: why do they take so much gratification in this fantasy? What is consoling to them about the idea that at one's most irrational he is lead to their position, but when of otherwise sound mind rejects said position?

TatteredCurtains:
The point, which has again been lost on your pea brain, is that the Bible contains numerous propositions which are demonstrably false--thus refuting your claim that religion can never be shown to be false. Here's another example for you: What were Jesus's last words? The gospels give 3 entirely different quotations. Which one is "The Truth"? Edit: I've already posed this challenge to him and he refused to address it You would think this would have been important enough to record accurately. Oh, and the ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Babylonians and pretty much every other ancient society had an estimate for pi which was accurate to at least a few decimal places so I'm only ridiculing ancient Jewish mathematics. Congratulations on following the stupidest ancient tribe! The only claims religion makes which aren't falsifiable also aren't verifiable, ergo they are worthless. I think its rather amusing that you think the testability of a theory is a bad thing.

PS I'm convinced. This has to be trolling. No one can be this stupid.

TatteredCurtains:

LOL "The devil is everywhere." JESUS LIVES. ARMAGEDDON IS COMING HALLELUJAH! What a blithering moron. At least he's being sincere here and not pretending to engage either one of us in an honest intellectual debate. Just start shouting shit from the Bible, its convincing. Really.
6 hours ago

TatteredCurtains:
Your molestation fantasies are quite disturbing too. "You were so young back then so fresh, so innocent..." That is seriously sick. OP you should keep your kids away from this guy. Edit: Ya I went there
6 hours ago

Conservatard:

That's what's keeping you from believing in religion....pi ???????? You must really like circles....ha!
6 hours ago

Edit: It's posts like this that make me think I may have been victimized by a fairly convincing troll.

TatteredCurtains:
Hey moron, how about considering any one of the other several inconsistencies and falsehoods in the Bible I pointed out. Oh ya, its easier to pretend that never happened. Congratulations on being a hack. Edit: And how is it irrelevant that the bible claims pi is three. Isn't this supposed to be the word of god?
5 hours ago

Conservatard:
Those things have been around for ever---trying to disprove the Bible is nothing new.....gives guys like you a reason to walk around like a proud parrot....."Look at me...I'm smarter than GOD".......hey man....I'm not gonna convert you......if you don't believe in Hell that's gonna be your problem in about 30 years give or take. Me, I'm not stupid enough to think I'm smarter than what the Bible has to say. And once again....the moron is the one wearing the panty hose over their face....yes SKEPTIC, I know.

Edit: I love that Facebook seems to have lifted the restriction on comment length. It made the following a lot easier.

TatteredCurtains:

Oooohhhh, you got me, I posed for a goofy picture and then uploaded it to the internet. I must be a moron!!! "Those things have been around for ever..." So you're admitting that the bible is internally inconsistent and contains numerous demonstrable falsehoods? We're finally getting somewhere. "I'm not stupid enough to think I'm smarter than what the Bible has to say" You mean that you're so stupid that you don't think you're smarter than a piece of thousands of years old ancient mythology. As for being smarter than god, Jehovah lays down a challenge to Job when he questions him. Job was ignorant like you so he couldn't answer god's challenge, I on the other hand can*.
Job 38:4-7: "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?"
God thinks the earth has footings and a cornerstone; wrong! Also a measuring line would be a preposterously bad tool for measuring the Earth being that it's an oblate spheroid. TC 2 God 0.

Job 38:8-11: "Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place, when I said, `This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt'?"
There aren't any sea doors and the oceans are shaped by a finite supply of water over an irregular surface. TC 3 God 0

Job 38:12-15: "Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn its place, that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it? The earth takes shape like clay under a seal; its features stand out like those of a garment. The wicked are denied their light, and their upraised arm is broken."
God thinks the Earth has edges and doesn't realize that the morning is caused by the Earth orbiting the sun, I know better. TC 5 God 0 Edit: Day and night are caused by Earth's rotation not it's orbit

Job 38:16: "Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep?"
I haven't personally but mankind certainly has explored the depths. TC 6 God 0

Job 38:18-21: "Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth? Tell me, if you know all this. "What is the way to the abode of light? And where does darkness reside? Can you take them to their places? Do you know the paths to their dwellings? Surely you know, for you were already born! You have lived so many years!"
Light is just electromagnetic radiation. It comes to us from the sun and other stars. When the side of the Earth we are on faces away from the Sun we are in darkness. TC 7 God 0

Job 38:22-23: "Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or seen the storehouses of the hail, which I reserve for times of trouble, for days of war and battle?"
Nice try YHWH but there are no storehouses. Snow and hail are just products of the water cycle. TC 8 God 0

Job 38:24: "What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed, or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?"
Again god shows a laughable misunderstanding of meteorology TC 9 God 0

Job 38:25-27: "Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain, and a path for the thunderstorm, to water a land where no man lives, a desert with no one in it, to satisfy a desolate wasteland and make it sprout with grass?"
Can you say Las Vegas?!? Also the Romans had aqueducts before the NT was even written. TC 10 God 0.

Job 38:28: "Does the rain have a father? Who
fathers the drops of dew?"
God's giving me a layup here. No and no one are the respective answers. TC 12 God 0.

Job 38:29-30: "From whose womb comes the ice? Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens when the waters become hard as stone, when the surface of the deep is
frozen?"
Snow is just frozen rain: Booyah god! TC 11 God 0.

Job 38:31-32: "Can you bind the beautiful Pleiades? Can you loose the cords of Orion? Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons or lead out the Bear with its cubs?"
God's ignorance of astrophysics is astounding. All these things are caused by the motion of the earth. TC 12 God 0.

Job 38:33: "Do you know the laws of the heavens? Can you set up dominion over the earth?" I clearly have a better grasp of physics than god and man has set up dominion over the Earth rather nicely I'd say. TC 14 God 0.

Job 38:34 "Can you raise your voice to the clouds
and cover yourself with a flood of water?"
Raising our voice to the clouds? How about airplanes and space travel? TC 15 God 0.

Job 38:35: "Do you send the lightning bolts on their way? Do they report to you, `Here we are'?" We can create tremendous flashes of plasma with an electrostatic field. Heck, I've even turned them into speakers. Take that god! TC 16 god 0.

Job 38:36: "Who endowed the heart with wisdom or gave understanding to the mind?"
Evolution. TC 17 god 0

Job 38:37-38: "Who has the wisdom to count the clouds? Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens when the dust becomes hard and the clods of earth stick together?"
Quit fooling charlatan! There are no jars of water to be tipped. And counting all the clouds is impossible, they are transient. TC 19 god 0

Job 38:39-40: "Do you hunt the prey for the
lioness and satisfy the hunger of the lions when they crouch in their dens or lie in wait in a thicket? Who provides food for the raven when its young cry out to God and wander about for lack of food?" T
hese animals forage for their own food. YHWH really like to take credit for the actions of others doesn't he. TC 20 God 0.

So there you have it. I played by Jehovah's rules and absolutely decimated him on his home turf. Mankind today is clearly far more intelligent and knowledgeable than the god of the OT.

*Based on an argument on www.creationtheory.org Edit: I would have simply linked to the original but there's no way he would have actually read it
5 hours ago

Skeptic:

That was baller.

dude nothing you will every say will have any consequence on earth, let alone 'make my skin crawl'. all this does is prove to me that you can never underestimate stupidity.

Oh yea also..what does 'disproving the bible' even mean? its not a book of proofs. its a fucking story. one you decided to live by. apparently you must be painfully stupid to need a ancient book to show you a way of life. you really cant think for yourself for whats wrong n right?

you REALLY think theres a place called heaven where you will go after you die? and hell? What do you do hell? blow the devil? what after that? like is there a fucking schedule? hey its 5pm time to suck some devil dick. 8pm: get fucked in the ass by godzilla. Edit: LOL

i cant believe i've come down to this level talking to this guy. this does have quite a bit of entertainment value, though. Edit: My sentiments exactly
4 hours ago

OP:
Not that I'm getting involved in this shit storm. But TC... Saying that man has set up dominion over the earth is more of an opinion than fact. One big earth pimple aka super volcano popping could put a good size dent in our population and there is absolutely nothing we could do to stop it. As a matter of fact I would say we have very little control over the earth and its processes. And if your referring to dominion just over other life. That may be an illusion also. In our effort for globalization, we may have set ourselves up to be wiped out by a deadly fast evolving virus. It would be almost ironic if we got wiped out by the smallest dumbest form of life on earth.
2 hours ago

TatteredCurtains:
Fair enough. TC 19 YHWH 0. I'm not giving him a point because he doesn't really have dominion over the Earth either. Edit: And this is quite a nitpick. Also I'm not really sure what he's talking about with globalization. If he's referring to the rainforest that's bupkis. Subsistence farmers are the main culprits.


No comments:

Post a Comment